Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Beginnings

It had not been more than a few months after landing a well-paid customer-support job at large corporation that I realized I'd never be content with a desk-job, much less one at a monolithic institution like the one I was stuck at.
Somehow it still took me almost two years to get fired - spectacularly fired. I cannot say I felt bad about it at all. Didn't really feel anything. I only took the job because I was too lazy and stoned to do the things I really want.

That was in April.

I proceeded to waste most of another lovely summer and a considerable amount of money on weed, alcohol and loose women.
- Ok, it was not completely wasted, but not spent in the most constructive way imaginable either.

Ten days ago, I decided to try something else. Not knowing exactly what that something else was, I had to ask myself that universal question: What do I want?

The answer may be boring - it's what everyone wants: Love, a little security and the freedom not to spend the rest of my life staring at a glowing rectangle day in and day out. One can only spend so much time explaining where the start button is and why IE6 is no longer supported.

I want a life, one that makes a little sense. You know, to be someone for other people and actually make myself proud from time to time.

It turns out that what I want takes effort to get. A lot of effort. Fortunately, it seems that doing what I really want is much more gratifying than following my whims and lower instincts. The question is: Can I keep that spirit? I'm sure as hell going to try!

So where do I start?

First obstacle: Getting drunk and high.

I have had this debate with myself a few times. I've always partied too hard, and yet I never really had fun getting drunk or high. Nor do I think the people around me had fun watching it.

I was distracted from the things that mattered the most to me: Every girlfriend I ever loved, every job I ever held and every education I was ever fortunate enough to be accepted into.

F*ck.

That was when I realized that my name is Christian and I'm an addict. Or at least someone who destroys all the good things in life with drugs and alcohol. That is a sound definition of an addict, right? This is where I ended the debate and decided to quit.

That was ten days ago.

I feel great now and I have from the first day. For the first time in months, I feel free. Apart from a few sleepless nights and just one angry outburst, I have been spared the worst withdrawal pangs.

I don't mean to preach. I'm sure you're part of the lucky majority that handles alcohol and the occational spliff without a hitch. If so, more power to you.

I'm not. Things seem to turn to sh*t when I get high and/or drunk.

This is my story. The story of a scrawny, pale, weed-smoking, couch-hugging underachiever changing into something else.

I invite you to follow me on my journey. I cannot tell you what lies ahead, but I promise you:
  • Honesty.
  • Openness.
  • Dedication. Hard work.
  • Humor. Dark humor, insane humor, bad humor, encouraging humor.
  • Adventures. Lots of adventures.

I welcome you to share your thoughts, experiences and ideas with me. I'll answer any questions - though I cannot guarantee the answer will not be "none of your business".

My next post will be on how I made the final decision to quit, how I did it and how I'm doing it day by day, keeping the promise to myself. I'm not really considering failure an option, but I'm very aware of the dangers and pitfalls and consequences of going back to active addiction: oblivion.

In my coming posts  I will focus on a few realistic, although ambitious goals, and how I'm going about achieving them. I'll tell you all about me and get into topics such as spirituality, diet, exercise, the science of drugs and addiction and public policy. Later I'll get into my hobbies and professional life: Photography, journalism, world affairs, philosophy, science and religious studies. 

I can't begin to describe the optimism and drive I feel right now. And it's all genuine, no drugs, no medication. Just the feeling of having a crushing weight lifted from my shoulders: I don't have to wonder whether or not I should quit drugs and alcohol. I've made my decision.

Finally I can start living without the ball and chain that is addiction.

9 comments:

  1. Saw your post on Reddit and subscribed to your RSS, I'm interested and hopeful to see where you go with this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might want to try vipassana or insight meditation if you have the time for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jake: I'll try not to disappoint, thanks for the interest. Actually means a lot to me.

    Neal: I'm glad to hear you mention meditation, I will get into the topic later. I've used meditation for years and it's helped me face the reality of my situation without fear or aversion, too see things clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Christian, found you through Reddit.

    I had a huge comment typed out with my story, but instead I'll keep it short(er). I started abusing alcohol and weed at 16 when I graduated high school and entered a prestigious journalism program. Having always having been a high achiever, I felt entitled to vice, and that I could keep it under control. How wrong I was.

    Seven years later, everything I could have fucked up, I fucked up. I dropped out of school for no reason other than laziness, killed a five year relationship with my dream girl after cheating countless times, and alienated most of my family with arrogance and self-destruction.

    I lost most of my friends because I treated them terribly. I lost my job due to cutbacks, and the depression got so bad that I began to contemplate suicide.

    What I really need is to start fresh, and do to that I need to kick my bad habits. I started last week going from a few grams a day to one bowl at night, and once this bag is gone, that's it. I'll be reading for inspiration, and hopefully I can provide some support as well.

    Al

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Christian,

    I saw a link to your blog on oursignal.com. You are very courageous to fight these addictions and to talk about it. Not only will it help you to stay away from addictions or controlling habits, but you'll be an inspiration to others.

    Also, I can relate to what you're talking about - I'm 31 and been stuck in a rut for the last few years. I've also been making some changes in my life recently - going to church, focusing on God, family and friends. Life is good!

    I wish you the best of luck!
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Christian,

    I just wanted to wish you the best. This is a really inspirational blog, and I think you're making good decisions, and proving that even at 29, you can change your life.

    All the best

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, I saw your post on Reddit and decided to follow your story, I know you'll be an inspiration to many...including me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the encouragement guys. I'm happy that you found the post interesting. I promise my future posts will be on more interesting things than "Yay, I'm not getting high" :)

    Thanks for the kind words and keep checking back. Any and all feedback is welcome, so is ideas, suggestions and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete